We know how stressful it is to move. We have helped plenty of people when they’re in the process of moving, so we thought it would be useful to put together a list of things you need to tick off your list before moving.
3 months to go
- Terminate your rental contract
- Arrange school transfer for you children (if any)
2 months to go
- Book moving company, or start asking your relatives/friends for help with the move.
- Check moving company’s insurance policy: does it cover the goods that you pack yourself? If you own especially valuable goods, take them for a value estimate for insurance purposes.
- Measure your new home: see if your furniture, carpets, curtains etc. will still fit or buy new ones if needed. Make sure larger pieces of furniture will fit through the doors.
- Arrange temporary accommodation if your new home will not be ready on the day you move out.
1 month to go
- Send out a change of address to your employer, utility providers, bank, post, doctors… The Royal Mail offers a mail forwarding service.
- Arrange subscription for your new home (internet, phone, cable TV…)
- Sort and purge: go through every room and decide what you’d like to keep and what you can get rid of.
- Buy moving boxes and packing supplies…
- Start packing: begin with stuff that you use least frequently. Label the boxes.
2 weeks to go
- Request for leave on the moving day.
- Arrange baby-sitter during the move if you have kids or pets.
- Go through your food supplies and throw away everything that has passed its expiry date.
- Arrange parking for the removal van or cars during the move out and move in if needed.
- Start dismantling larger pieces of furniture.
- Check out Shurgard’s self storage options and book a unit if necessary.
1 week to go
- Move into storage if you have booked a storage unit.
- Collect the keys to your new home.
- Clean your new home thoroughly.
- Pack suitcases for everyone with enough clothes to wear for a few days.
- Set aside some essentials: water, snacks, first aid kit, keys, chargers, moving documents, assembly instructions, leaflets for food delivery…
- Pack a box with some clean towels, bed sheets, toiletries and kitchen utensils for the first few nights.
A few days to go
- Empty the fridge and defrost the refrigerator.
- Reconfirm the moving company’s arrival time and other details (directions, contact information…)
- Make sure that the moving truck that shows up is from the company you hired.
- Before the movers leave, sign the inventory list and keep a copy.
Download your copy of Shurgard’s moving checklist.